Often, talking with colleagues, friends or family say, ‘My job is stressful!’. Does this mean we suffer work-related stress?
We can feel stress at work is not the same as the so-called job stress.
The first definition of Hans Selye stress was proposed by the Mc Gill University in Montreal in 1936. Since then there have been many definitions. Today, one of the most widely accepted is that of the World Health Organization (O.M.S.): ‘set of physiological reactions that prepare the body for action’.
In this sense, a certain level of stress is good because it moves us to act, leads us to make faster decisions, helps us focus and sustain attention makes for longer. An acceptable level of pressure can keep you motivated, eager to learn more and get all your creative potential. All these consequences help greater efficiency at work.
What is job stress?
Work stress is not a positive stress. It is the reaction you can have to demands and pressures in your job, do not fit your skills and abilities.
In a competitive world like today we tend to suffer work-related stress because they require too. Often the demands of work overwhelm our capacity and endanger our well-being. But be alert if the crisis has led to a job you accept less qualified than yours because also run risk if your obligations are below your ability.
Burn out syndrome
The most serious case is burn out syndrome or ‘burnout’, which is a type of job stress. It is distinguished because it is prolonged stress whose main causes emotional exhaustion, depersonalization (with the development of negative attitudes and insensitivity towards colleagues or customers) and reduced personal accomplishment at work, which is evaluated so negative and causes feelings of low self-esteem.
It is, above all, chronic stress, which clearly differentiates it from passing stress situations or shorter and can not be reduced with the usual advice to alleviate work stress.
Personal risk factors
· People more anxious, overachieving, less tolerance for ambiguity and adaptability, and those whose motivation depends more on external factors, they are more likely to suffer from this disorder.
· Lack of exercise or an unhealthy diet are also risk factors.
· Sudden changes in your daily life as a change of address or maternity or paternity recent make you more vulnerable.
Risk factors related to the position
But job stress depends primarily on factors related to the workplace.
· First, there are stalls exhibiting more stress. They are works of great responsibility and require rapid decision-making.
· Physical demand as the great efforts, long and regular travel or work at night, with the consequent change in biorhythms, is also a risk factor.
· We run more danger in working environments where interpersonal relationships are not fluid and against bosses who do not explain clearly what our objectives.
· With few job prospects of improvement increases her frustration and stress at work.
· A low wage worsens self-esteem and motivation.
Symptoms of job stress
If you identify in any of the above cases, pay attention to the most common symptoms to be served warning. Work stress causes changes to physical, psychological level and your behavior.
1. Physical symptoms
3. Changes in behavior
– Social isolation
-Adicción To drugs or alcohol
In addition to watching you to see if you have suffered any of these changes, take a few minutes to do work stress test of the Internet. Some are more oriented to physical symptoms, others to the risk factors related to the position. You can also evaluate your overall stress because certainly a high level will make you more vulnerable to job stress.
Whether you’re safe if you have doubts as to suffer work-related stress, it is important that you go to your doctor.